Computer Technology for Dance
F 3:30PM - 6:00PM Grant Hall-Room 00222, 8/23/2010 - 12/9/2010
Instructors: Nicole English (EnglishN@umkc.edu); Mike Strong (StrongM@umkc.edu);
Phone: Mike Strong: 816-444-4459; Cell: 816-674-1133
This course will not only give basic computer knowledge but will give students the tools to visualize and chronicle dance steps or entire routines in as easy-to-use 3D environment. The students will use these tools to create choreography and to inform interdisciplinary arts and dance technology projects that will be implemented into the Advanced Composition course.
Pre-requisite: Dance 218A Composition I.
- No textbook is required, but DanceForms documentation will be available in PDF.
- DanceForms Practical Guide, available in PDF.
- DanceForms User Manual, available by chapter in PDF on Network.
- Students will be able to learn file formats and file/directory/network structure & function.
- Students will learn the basics of DanceForms, a 3D environment software for simulations.
- Students will learn DanceForms functions & 3D techniques for simulating dance moves.
- Students will learn to use DanceForms to create an animation project and present it.
- Weekly DanceForms projects.
- Final Project.
- Final Presentation
- Attendance will be taken each session.
- In class projects will also count towards Attendance.
- Lab sessions will be scheduled to accommodate concert and rehearsal commitments.
- Attendance. 10%
- Weekly Lab Exercises. 30%
- Final Project. 20%inal Presentation 20%
- Quizzes. 20%
Role Expectations (Instructors & Students)
- Students will be expected to attend lab sessions, demonstrate competency in lab work.
- Instructors will expect to be in lab sessions with students to assist them with work.
- Students should plan to get a flash stick thumb drive, where they can store their work.
- These range in size (& price) from about ½ gig (at approx. $10-20) to 2-4 gig (at approx. $40-60).
Academic Misconduct/Ethics Statement:
UMKC Academic Calendar (for dates of last day to drop, etc.)